Pia Besmonte is a poet and literature teacher based in Makati, Philippines. She has been performing poetry since she was five years old. She has crossed off a life goal with the launch of “Manic Pixie Depressive Gremlin”.
Pia holds a double degree in Literature and Education from the Philippine Normal University. She studied World Literature at Barnard College – Columbia University as a Global Undergraduate Exchange scholar sponsored by the Philippine American Educational Foundation (Fulbright Philippines). Pia was a Barnard Writing Fellow for Beginning Fiction. She was also an artist-apprentice to Ninotchka Rosca, a Queens-based transnational Filipina journalist, novelist, and women’s rights advocate.
When not reading, writing, or performing poetry on stage, Pia loves to paint, watch films, and play with her nieces. She has a cat named Luna, who is currently held in benevolent hostage by hackers in Makati.
Pia is getting married to Dexter, her mind’s equal. Their little human is called Mango.
- Pia Besmonte (World Literature, Barnard College-Columbia University AY 2011-2012) talks about the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program, its requirements, and what she has learned from her own experience and accomplishments.
- Pia Besmonte writes and performs spoken word piece “Fine”.
- Pia Besmonte gets featured in the Philippine Normal University website as an AB/BSE Literature alumna.
- Pia Besmonte performs spoken word piece “Noble” for the First National Youth Forum on Heritage.
- Pia Besmonte writes a poem in the perspective of her foremothers in The Truth We Carry: The Insurgent Narratives Project.
- Pia Besmonte performs spoken word piece “I Dare You To Stay” at the Cinematheque Iloilo.
- Pia Besmonte launches debut poetry book “Manic Pixie Depressive Gremlin” at the PAEF Fulbright Philippines, 18 August 2016. Global UGrad Alumna Launches Poetry Book on Millennial Filipina Issues
- Pia Besmonte collaborated with Raf Banzuela III and photographer Erick Cruz for “Tiled Meditations”.